Length and Perimeter

Measurement: LENGTH AND PERIMETER

BIG IDEAS:

(taken from “Big Ideas by Dr. Small”):

1. There is always value in estimating a measurement.
  2. The length of an object is a one-dimensional attribute. Length can be the measurement of a single measure of an object or a combined linear measure, like perimeter.

STUDENT LEARNING GOALS:

GOAL #1

(GRADE 5): I can convert metric units between kilometres, metres, centimetres and millimetres.

(GRADE 4): I understand the relationship between various units of length (e.g. millimetres, centimetres, metres, etc.)

GOAL #2

(GRADE 5): I can use a ruler to measure to the nearest tenth of a centimetre (i.e. mm).

(GRADE 4): I can use a ruler to measure to the nearest centimetre or millimetre.

CURRICULUM EXPECTATIONS:

Both Grade 4 and 5:

• select and justify the most appropriate standard unit (i.e., millimetre, centimetre, decimetre, metre, kilometre) to measure length, height, width, and distance;

Grade 5:

• Solve problems requiring conversion from metres to centimetres and from kilometres to metres (Sample problem: Describe the multiplicative relationship between the number of centimetres and the number of metres that represent a length. Use this relationship to convert 5.1 m to centimetres.)

Grade 4:

• Draw items using a ruler, given specific lengths in mm or cm.
  • Estimate measure, and record length, height, and distance using standard units.
  • Record the perimeter of polygons and rectangles.